Hopscotch - Senior Youth Worker (Female) - Young Asian Women and Girls (28 hours)
Job title: Senior Youth Worker (Female) - Young Asian Women and Girls (28 hours)
Job type: Permanent
Pay: 21,504.00 per year
Date posted: 09/08/2019
Title of Job: Senior Youth Worker (Female) - Young Asian Women and Girls
Salary: £26,880 full-time (pro rata, £21504) incl. ILW
Hours of Work: 28 hours (4 days) per week
Reports to: Senior Operations Manager
Budget Responsibilities: None
A Main Purpose of the Job
The overall purpose of this role is to develop, implement and co-ordinate a culturally appropriate programme of activities in Camden to improve the mental and emotional health and well-being of young Asian women and girls. The post holder will work with young Asian women and girls aged 12-17 years, at risk of social exclusion and/or mental health problems. They will develop and implement a culturally appropriate mentoring scheme, to enable disadvantaged young Asian women and girls to develop their confidence and self-esteem as well as coordinate the delivery of healthy relationships drama workshops for the older girls.
B Main Tasks and Responsibilities
Outreach service delivery
- To organise and oversee outreach and extra-curricular activities such as swimming lessons, arts and crafts and a girls’ group for young Asian women and girls in Camden.
- To organise and oversee the principal components of the mentoring scheme as follows:
- Source and screen appropriate mentors from FE Colleges and HE institutions.
- Liaise with Mentoring agency over training and accreditation for mentors; and ensure all appropriate eligibility and DBS checks are complete.
- Source and screen mentees (12-17 year-old Asian girls) living in Camden.
- Secure mentee parent/carer consent forms.
- Match mentors and mentees as appropriate.
- Act as a liaison for mentors and mentees and parents/carers in the first month of the mentoring cycle.
- To liaise with the London Violence Against Women and Girls Consortium to coordinate the delivery of healthy relationships workshops to 15-17 year old girls
- To support the creation of the CYP Steering group and their involvement in shaping the project.
- To undertake signposting and act as a referral route into relevant agencies.
- To respond to Safeguarding concerns (Children and Adults at Risk) as per Hopscotch’s policies and procedures and local Safeguarding Protocols.
- To undertake effective liaison, networking and partnership working with target schools, Camden Council Family and Social Work department, target GP surgeries, community organisations and agencies involved.
- To contribute to the development of appropriate policies and procedures for Hopscotch to work with and support this client group.
- Produce publicity materials to publicise the outreach programme and mentoring scheme to potential beneficiaries via partner agencies
- Network with appropriate VCS and statutory service providers and represent Hopscotch at relevant meetings where required.
- Raise awareness of the needs of the client group, both within Hopscotch and externally.
Administration, monitoring and evaluation
- To keep records and information for the purpose of internal and external monitoring and evaluation, including records of course feedback, mentor Personal Progress plan notes and quarterly monitoring and evaluation reports.
- Provide information, reports and statistics in line with the service and Hopscotch’s requirements, including to the Senior Operations manager, Director and project funders.
- Carry out relevant administration requirements of the post.
- To monitor and evaluate the outreach programme, mentoring scheme, workshops and Steering Group to inform service development.
- To assist the Senior Operations Manager with review of outreach activities to ensure their relevance to the project target group.
- Actively engage with other team members and work constructively with colleagues and managers in all aspects of the work.
- To keep accurate records adhering to relevant policies regarding confidentiality and information sharing, safeguarding and equal opportunities.
- Contribute to the sharing of good practice and support continuous improvement throughout Hopscotch.
- Participate in supervision and appraisal with their line manager. Work with the line manager to review professional development and undertake training as agreed.
- To occasionally work during evenings and weekends, as required by the post.
- Contribute through Hopscotch team meetings, training and outreach/events to the development of Hopscotch services
- Any others duties which are considered commensurate with the post.
NVQ L 3 in information, Advice and Guidance of equivalent
A coaching or mentoring qualification
Knowledge and understanding of the barriers to work faced by disadvantaged groups in accessing training and employment and the range of different approaches to address this
Ability to communicate in one or more of the following languages Bengali/Sylheti, Urdu, Punjabi, Somali, Arabic
Knowledge of the progression routes for health and social are sector
Knowledge of welfare reforms and the implication it has for low paid workers
Experience of supporting young people to develop confidence and social skills
Experience of running or facilitating community outreach activities aimed at hard to reach communities
Experience of developing and facilitating training to develop motivation
Experience of delivering IAG, employment related workshops to diverse communities, especially women experiencing multiple barriers to work
Experience of engaging with employers and secure better opportunities for candidates
Experience of managing a caseload of low paid workers and maintaining their motivation
Experience of working to targets and meeting deadlines
Experience of presenting statistical and qualitative information
Skills & 15 Abilities
Ability to communicate using a range of skills and communication methods
Ability to use a range of IT systems competently in day to day work
Ability to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the values and practice of supporting communities who are disproportionally represented in the workplace
To establish and maintain multi agency and partnership working.
To work for long periods unsupervised with the ability to remain focused and target driven
Personal 20 Attributes
A commitment to occasional out of hours working at evenings and weekends.
Awareness of and commitment to equalities and diversity principles