Hopscotch - Welfare Benefits Adviser
Job title: Welfare Benefits Adviser
Job type: Fixed Term
Pay: 25,667.00 per hour
Date posted: 03/07/2020
Salary: £25,667 FTE
Hours: 35 Hours (flexible hours, job share may be considered)
Duration: 6 Months
The purpose of the job is to provide welfare benefits advice, information and advocacy for BAME women, mainly Asian speaking, living in and around Camden. The Advice Worker will also refer clients to other services, such as legal aid, community mental health services, women’s refuges and social work assessments, in order to enable them to access their rights. There will be a specialist focus on women who are at risk of domestic violence and forced marriage.
- Provide detailed casework for women and men in both English and another Camden community language, in relation to welfare benefits advice and support
- Assist clients to prepare for benefit appeals and provide representation at tribunals
- Assist with setting up and delivering appropriate outreach services, according to COVID-19 official guidance
- Liaise and negotiate with other statutory and voluntary organisations to progress the client’s case and ensure they receive all assistance available
- Maintain detailed case records for the purpose of continuity of case work, information retrieval and monthly statistics and provide reports as required
- Negotiate with statutory bodies on behalf of clients to further the progress of their claims
- Refer clients to other agencies as appropriate for specialist help with issues that fall outside the remit of the service, including legal issues such as injunctions, and representation at immigration appeals
- Develop working relationships with other professionals working with the client group and to network with other professionals in the advice work field.
- To undertake training and self-development in order to develop skills and increase knowledge and understanding of issues facing women affected by domestic violence
- To gather statistics in order to monitor and evaluate the service, providing reports as required to the steering group, funders and partners.
- Follow Case Management Procedures, maintain client files and ensure that all quality standards are followed
- Ensure that all advice sessions are well advertised both internally and externally and to keep all Hopscotch information services up to date
- Carry out outreach in the community to create awareness of the project, advice surgeries and enrol people in relevant workshops, including workshops delivered online
- Develop links with and engage partner organisations in the delivery of the programme.
- Facilitate workshops and information sessions related to welfare benefits, personal budget management and life skills in partnership with external agencies
- To receive and provide practical guidance to other workers and volunteers carrying out work with this client group.
- NVQ Level 3 in Information Advice and Guidance or equivalent
- Experience of delivering welfare rights-based advice or advocacy work
- Experience of outreach and community-based work
- Experience of planning and facilitating training and workshops on issues related to welfare benefits
- Experience of performance measurement and evaluation systems
- Experience of using Microsoft Office packages and carrying out internet research
- Experience of taking appointments, accurate record keeping and filing, both electronic and paper.
- Ability to communicate fluently in a Camden community language and English
- Ability to communicate effectively with service users and professionals on the telephone, online platforms e.g. Zoom, WhatsApp, and face to face
- Ability to communicate effectively in written English with an emphasis on preparing reviews, reports and general correspondence.
- Ability to complete monitoring forms and produce written updates
- An ability and willingness to work as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to maintain up to date knowledge of domestic violence, forced marriage and statutory guidance in relation to welfare rights and systems
- Ability to plan and prioritise effectively and work on own initiative in a demanding environment
- An ordered approach to casework and an ability and willingness to follow set procedures concerning casework and file management
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality in relation to a range of sensitive information required
- Understanding of the poverty in inner city areas, particularly with recently arrived people and communities
- Knowledge and understanding of the political, social and economic environment of BAME communities
- An understanding of the issues facing BAME women affected by domestic violence
- Knowledge of welfare reforms and the implication it has for BAME communities
- A flexible approach to work and ability to work some unsocial hours.
- Awareness of and commitment to equalities and diversity principles